Monday, September 2, 2013

Reprap Wiki, Sketchup, Skeinforge, Slic3r, Marlin are but just a few that need to be thanked for amazing contributions to 3D printing & more

Just a few of the creators and groups that have made 3D printing available and inspirational for many DIY enthusiasts, these have been my leading sites and or organisations or individuals that have either knowingly or not made this journey possible for me. THANK YOU !! and to all of those that I have missed out too.

Firstly the Reprap Wiki pages were where I first learned that it would be possible for me to ultimately build my very own 3D printer. http://reprap.org/wiki/RepRap

After many many hours of research on all the available equipment at the time (no delta's then) I chose to invest in a Sumpod Aluminium courtesy of Richard Sum http://www.sumpod.com/   . Although I did have some small issues in the beginning Richard was always helpful when I called him up and I think he has learnt some valuable lessons while setting up and establishing his business too. The Sumpod is still in my mind one of the most accurate versatile 3D machines available. With the modifications I have done my Sumpod has done many 1000's of hours of uninterrupted printing almost 365 nights of each year I have owned it.

A large majority of our Arduino based 3D printers rely on the fantastic Marlin  Reprap firmware based on Sprinter and grbl. Copyright (C) 2011 Camiel Gubbels / Erik van der Zalm

Our designs have to come from somewhere and although there are many great CAD systems available Google SketchUP best suited me, was quick and easy to learn and perfect for my application and designs. http://www.sketchup.com/ 

Next the need to Slice the STL file into usable g-code got me using Skeinforge. Skeinforge is a tool chain composed of Python scripts that converts your 3D model into G-Code instructions for RepRap
Check out their wiki page and contributors, again a fantastic product to get me started, I still use Skeinforge and Slic3r depending on what I am slicing as I am still more familiar with Skeinforge.
http://fabmetheus.crsndoo.com/wiki/index.php/Skeinforge

The other app which I have only been using for a short while is Slic3r another STL Slicing program which appears to have even more functionality and is one of the Slicing choices from Repetier which brings your Printer, Slicer and G-Code together in one awesome package.  http://slic3r.org/


Repetier brings the elements of your printer size specific operational characteristics , your 3D design output the slicer and g-code output all into one package. I used to do each element manually but Repetier brings all these together in one simple application great product  http://www.repetier.com/

I have named just a few that have added value to my journey a big thank you to all. There are many hundreds of excellent resources available on the web and careful scanning of them almost always produces some or other little snippet of useful information about 3D printing.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment